The Henry Nehrling Society, Inc. D.B.A. Nehrling Gardens was established in 1999 by a group of concerned citizens to preserve Dr. Nehrling’s home and horticultural legacy. In 2000, the Society incorporated as a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit public charitable organization. The Society’s first accomplishment was having Palm Cottage Gardens placed on the National Register of Historic Places in November 2000. Since then the Society has focused on educating the public about Dr. Nehrling’s importance to the horticultural history of Florida. In November 2009, the Society acquired the home and gardens to accomplish its purpose as stated below.
The Mission of the Henry Nehrling Society is to preserve Dr. Nehrling’s historic home and gardens in Gotha, Florida, and provide a history, horticulture and environmental education center that will:
- Honor Dr. Nehrling’s horticultural and ornithological achievements.
- Preserve the remaining home and gardens in Gotha, Florida.
- Recognize the community’s historic and German-American cultural heritage.
- Teach environmentally sound gardening and landscaping practices through horticultural classes and demonstration gardens; provide education for wetlands restoration and conservation.
- Assist in the conservation and protection of natural resources in Central Florida.
The Society consists of a Board of Directors and Advisory Board. Positions are available on the Board of Directors. If you are interested, please contact us for more information about these positions.
The Society holds regular monthly board meetings which are listed on the Calendar.
Membership is available to any individual, business or other legal entity willing to support the purposes of The Henry Nehrling Society, Inc. To join us, please visit our Membership page. Online payments are available for your convenience.
The Henry Nehrling Society, Inc. D.B.A. Nehrling Gardens is a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit organization whose Federal tax identification number is: 59-3617338. Our Florida Solicitation of Contributions Act Registration Number is CH11407.
A copy of the official registration and financial information may be obtained from the Division of Consumer Services by calling toll-free 1 (800) 435-7352 within the State. Registration does not imply endorsement, approval, or recommendation by the State.